“I just don’t feel as sharp as I used too.” I used to laugh whenever I heard my mom and her friends say this…until I started saying it myself. Then I finally started listening to my clients and their families and tried my own advice. I was pleasantly surprised to see how well it worked. For years I’ve worked in the field of Speech-Language Pathology, helping those with cognitive difficulties due to some type of neurological event. We work on an individual’s ability to attend and remember better, multi-task and solve problems faster, pull up words and converse as they did before. I love my job. I love seeing the progress my client’s make. I know what we do works, because I see the miracles every day. I just hadn’t been applying it to myself. Until a client called me on it and I decided to make a change. I began to practice what I preach and slowly emerged from the fog. You can too.
Here are 8 ways to sharpen your thinking skills.
- Exercise: Get the blood flowing to your brain.
- Healthy Diet: Fuel your brain with healthy foods.
- Drink more water: Keep your brain hydrated to help it work more efficiently.
- Brain Teasers and Games: Keep your brain strong and active by working it out.
- New Learning: The brain thrives and builds new pathways every time it is introduced to something new.
- Socializing: A fun and interactive way to exercise those cognitive skills.
- Reduce Stress: Increased stress levels can affect mental functions.
- Prayer and Meditation: Studies are showing that prayer and meditation have positive effects on stress levels and overall cognitive abilities.
Admittedly, some of these were easier than others to implement. I needed to start slowly. Adding things in as I began to feel better. I found I not only had the mental energy, but the physical energy to try new things as well. I’m not perfect, but I feel a whole lot better. I’m having a lot more fun too, which is one of the added perks. I’m thankful for the nudge. I hope I can nudge you too.